We recommend that before you start looking for someone, you take the time to consider what you want from a Nanny (the term “nanny” is used in this instance, as a generic term, to cover all aspects of home based childcare).
· Do you need live in or daily help?
· Is the position permanent or temporary?
· What duties do you want the Nanny to perform?
· What hours would you like the Nanny work?
· How much are you looking to pay?
· Does you need your Nanny to drive and do you need them to have their own car?
· Have you considered that you will need to pay expenses like mileage?
· Does your position have any special requirements e.g:
· Are you ever away over night?
· Do you require any baby-sitting?
· Do you want a non-smoker?
· Will you be at home, do you need to make sure your nanny is happy to work alongside you?
What makes a good Nanny? Here are just some skills and qualities you should be looking for:
· An obvious interest in children
· The imagination to create safe and fun learning opportunities
· The skills to prepare healthy meals and snacks
· First Aid training
The ability to respect the families wishes in how they wish to bring up their children.